Monday, August 1, 2022

Water, Water, Everywhere (Musings from Jim)





Water, water everywhere…. About one-third of the Netherlands is below sea level. The series of canals that course through much of the area provides watery relief to thesedrought-stricken eyes. Imagine running water in the sink or flushing toilets at every use with nary a hint of guilt or shame. I have become water-woke. I can’t say for sure that there is not a water “crisis” of some sort here, but I am remaining willfully ignorant because the over-all sense of freedom from water oppression is surprisingly potent. As a rule, I am more than happy to pay my fair share of taxes. “More than happy” is a bit hyperbolic but it is a commitment I made upon entering this relationship almost 48 years ago and, as far as the Franchise Tax Board knows, I have been faithful. I have benefitted from the pleasures this state has provided for the “quid pro quo” of taxation.

Something has changed though. Water intimacy has become negligible and, not until I met Amsterdam, did I realize the toll it has taken on my psyche. Our relationship is more than dysfunctional. Freely flushing has made me painfully aware that I have been in an abusive relationship with California. The reality of drought…the oppression of drought…has put a strain on my sense of well-being.  Hope that it will improve sinks with every drop in water level. Receding lakes and reservoirs have exposed secrets long hidden beneath their cool, shimmering surfaces. Parched earthen cracks scar the landscape begging to be healed. Maybe with a little self-healing I can renew my commitment to conservation. The truth, painfully revealed to me this trip, is that I am plum tuckered out. Hopefully, as I luxuriate in this water-wonderland for the next month, I will return to my beloved California refreshed with a renewed sense of purpose and commitment….because…surprisingly… it’s not all about me.







3 comments:

  1. Enjoy every minute and all the beautiful water. Love the blog--like being there myself! Isn't it great to be travelling again? Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your thoughts about the contrast between the lushness in Amsterdam and the evermore present drought conditions in California. Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete