Saturday, May 30, 2009

Another day

We had a relaxing stay put day on Friday. I had explored the wall around the city on Tuesday while Jim had a Portuguese siesta (and I was determined to sleep well by not napping), today we both did the walk –the full route whereas earlier in the week I had done only half. We also hiked on the trail behind the wall.

For those of you who know me through work, it is well known that I enjoy shoes. In my lifetime I’ve seen the exposure of Imelda Marcos’s shoe closet cause women to be ashamed to admit that they like shoes. Thank goodness for Carrie Bradshaw (Sex in the City) for allowing us ladies to rejoice once again in our shoes and strappy sandals and rid ourselves of the ridiculous invention of pantyhose. So it was with great sadness that I had to spend lots of money at the Walking Store for this trip! I could have bought 6 pair of cute sandals on sale at Macy’s for what I paid for walking sandals and shoes! But they are doing the trick on this Obidos Wall! You will appreciate that I still have my French Pedicure and toe ring – got to dress them up somehow! So far no slipping and no blisters, so well worth the purchase. You will, however, never see them on me at work!
So here we are up on this wall –SO HIGH, narrow, cobblestone, nothing to hold on to. Quite a pair we are – Jim having to step delicately with his size 13 feet, and me not loving heights. But the views are so spectacular that it is well worth the trek. Did find it interesting that the cemetery was just below one of the high spots of the wall. I guess they could just bury people where they fell…not a comforting thought.
I have been waiting to spot a Portuguese windmill – there are many modern ones (like on the Altamont Pass) but I wanted the ones I saw pictures of growing up. Finally spotted one through a perfectly placed portal on the wall.
You can also see where we are staying (where we were finally able to have hot water) over my shoulder on left side of photo, just over the wall.
You can see the sweeping views of the Obidos area from the trail behind the wall. You can see some of the vineyards. Wonderful wines abound. We tend to just order the house wines, and all have been very nice.
Another walk through town and spotted a few things:
A “How Are you Feeling Today – in Portuguese – T-shirt (for you therapists out there)
Cute sculpture peeking out of a store entrance (so not pull my tongue, thankyou)
More and more flowers

During our walk through town, we saw a poster for a concert Friday evening at a barogue sextagonal church that we see from our window. It was never finished, and not in use as a church, so we had not been able to see the inside. Seemed like a good opportunity and at only 5E each, couldn´t go wrong. Turned out to be sensational -a 11 piece group (10 strings, one harpsichord) from Caiscais, playing Vivaldi et. al. The featured violinest was beyond description -almost seemed to be dancing with her violin - I felt guilty for not watching the others, but she was so compelling my eyes were repeatedly drawn back to her. Great place for a concert, wonderful acoustics.

Today we are off for Coimbra -home of Portugal´s oldest University. Maybe Jim is hoping for a job at their Disabled Student´s program....

More next time...

1 comment: